Sunday, July 2nd, 4:00 p.m. – Departed from Max Conrad Airport in Winona, Minnesota.
The Atmosphere’s Mood
Afternoon/Evening Conditions – Temp – Reached a high of 79* / Wind – N at 5 mph / Skies – Clear.
9:00 p.m. – Arrived at Perrot State Park near Trempealeau, Wisconsin, 15.0 miles, 38,400 steps, 202miles remaining.
Highs of the Day
- Restarting after the Break – After taking a week off to give my body some much needed rest, the idea of getting back out there again was exciting. The adventurous spirit is live and well, and continues to push me to GET OUT THERE AND DO!
- The Day with Jill – We haven’t had a lot of time together for the past month. We got to camp together for a night, and then spend almost an entire day together. We had breakfast at the Golden Frog in Fountain City (and a Bloody Mary for me), drove around and checked out some neighboring towns, and got to see a couple of State Parks. It was awesome!
- Perrot State Park – Before Jill left for the day, we went down to Perrot State Park to check it out and see if we could get me a campsite. We were successful, and that really took a lot of pressure out of the day for me. Not knowing where the day is going to end can be stressful, and sometimes doesn’t end well. We also found the park to be quite beautiful. Set amongst the bluffs adjacent to the Mississippi River, its fields of wildflowers, Black Walnut trees and variety of birds and waterfowl made it a place I looked forward to staying at. Both Jill and I are hoping to return there.
Lows of the Day
- Restating after a Break – Yes, it was a pro and a con. The adventurous part of me wanted to GO. The rest of me just wanted to go home. It can be a tricky balance at times, and was particularly difficult on this day. I had enjoyed my week off at home, and wouldn’t have minded going back there at all. Soon…
- Saying Goodbye – Both Jill and I really struggled with saying goodbye. We’ve been doing it a lot lately, and it just keeps getting harder. I have no choice but to think of that as a good thing. I can’t wait until we can spend enough time together again to be sick of one another…:-)
Lessons Learned – Like anything else in life, there are pros and cons to consider when embarking on an adventure such as this. While it’s a lot of fun and there are so many things to see and people to meet, missing home and the people I love is part of it too. A big part. Especially today, that part was quite a struggle.